Minutes from May 12, 2010 meeting:
• Discussion about Gustavo’s official resignation as President and Jim stepping up as Acting President. As this has not happened before, there was further discussion about procedure that is not written into the by-laws about replacing an officer mid-term. We questioned if we needed to have a special election for either the President or VP positions, if anyone wanted to run for these positions, or if we really needed to fill the void at this time allowing the other officers to take up the slack by helping out with the duties with this void. There was a suggestion for the officers to gather separately from this meeting to create a by-law amendment addressing this issue of an officer’s resignation. Finally, a motion to close the discussion was approved upon deciding that it was not necessary to elect a new officer at this time and Jim would just remain as Acting President until the next election.
• The annual Plantation Independence Day Parade is scheduled to be held on July 3rd. We discussed having an after party as usual and where. It was suggested that the possibility of Jim’s place could be available as an option upon approval by the War Dept. If so, we discussed renting a rock wall/slide for fun activities at the party and that everyone could bring a dish as the Club would provide the meat to be grilled, with the possibility of Dino’s grill be used if he approves.
• A copy of an email that Dino received a copy of was read aloud regarding the solicitation of the Big Cypress event. It was being promoted by Everglades 4×4 to recruit “selected” people to attend on their behalf so they could gain a better position to win a club participation award.
• This then led to the discussion about making the club roster private from all members except the officers as members with dual membership and the old members that either resigned or were eliminated from the club still had access to SFJC information. To prevent this breach of the by-laws by using the roster as a means of solicitation.
• This decision was made to shut down to all members (except officers) for a period of 3 months (until renewals are due in July). If any club member needed to contact another, they could request the contact information from an officer that has access.
• Bill: brought up the discussion about getting a refund of our Towers access from the car show management as they did not give us an option of first right of refusal on the alternating nights that EJ4x4 now has. Their presence has damaged our own club’s presence in the car show as attendees have no idea what night we meet vs. when they meet and that there is even 2 different clubs meeting in the same space.
Marty: did not want to forego our Towers presence and suggested just having an alternative location for meets on the off weeks when EJ4x4 is there.
Frank: stated that Towers is the location that everyone is used to meeting. This point was so that anyone not having attended in a while would always know that the club could be found there.
Bill: will try to get a refund of the Towers fee. If successful, we need to stay on top of making meeting places instead of Towers.
Frank: will talk to North Broward Jeep about obtaining a sponsorship fund and banner to use a meetup at different locations.
Marty: will talk to University about the same type of sponsorship.
• Kevin brought up the discussion that there are no park officials at Corbett currently to give anyone a hard time about wheeling until July when new rules go into effect that will prevent wheeling to anyone unless you have a hunting permit and are there to hunt.